Self-Assessment Essay

Victoria Diaz  

Freshman Composition  

Anna Alexis  

30th November 2022  

My Self-Assessment Essay

After doing three phase essays and revising each essay, I have realized that I have somehow improved my writing each time. Anytime we had to do revisions, or we got feedback from other peers, it has allowed me to look over my work and see where it is I have made my mistakes. I can see where I made my mistakes and I always do my best to fix them because I know that it is for the best. I believe that it is always good to receive feedback, even if you don’t feel like you need it, there is always something that needs to be worked on and I had to learn that when it came to revising my work for each essay.  It is important for us as writers to acknowledge our work because it will allow us to grow and become better for the future. I have always been confident in my writing because I have always felt that since this is something I enjoy doing so I figured that I would be good at it, but there is always room for improvement. Writing three phase essays has benefited me because each essay was three different topics, it allowed me to explore with my writing and really see how far I can go with my writing. When it came down to revising, I am aware of what it is that needs to be worked on.  

Over the years, I never had the best experience with peer review. Many of my assignments would need to have some improvements and I feel that I never had the right partners to help me with my writing. The topic that I was mainly focused on in my phase 3 essay was Language and Literacy development but on kids. I want everyone to realize how important it is for children to develop language and literacy at an early age. Now while doing this essay, I felt that what I was saying was too repetitive because we had just previously finished talking about Language and Literacy in our phase 1 and 2 essays, but as we did our peer review my partner loved what I wrote. Of course, there were some things that needed to be worked on but at the time it felt good to know that it wasn’t repetitive because although I was discussing the same topic, I was discussing it from a child’s perspective. I feel that peer review has helped me because I am able to see where I am wrong or just see what it is I need to work on.  

As we worked on these essays, I feel that each time we spoke about something different it allowed us to get our own research and do what we want with that research. I feel that I was able to explore more with all the topics that we had to write about, and it allowed me to go more in depth about the topics. What I really enjoyed in our phase 3 essay was that we were able to use our own articles and do our own research. I feel that using my own articles allowed me to build a good claim and argument and it also allowed me to experience with outside sources. I think I have grown as a writer in each essay, and I feel that it shows, peer review has helped me, and it has allowed me to believe that even if I feel that nothing needs to be changed in my writing, there is always something that needs to be worked on. I had a good experience with working on these three essays, I think they allowed me to go more in depth with my writing and they have helped me with research and creating claims. They have also allowed me to become a better writer and explore more with my writing.